The intention of this guide is to shed some light on the various price ranges that exist in Michigan for a wedding DJ and MC. Furthermore, It covers what each range might offer and what some of the expectations should be in each.
When you are planning your wedding and you need to hire a DJ, you can expect price ranges such as...
If your DJ charges under $700, expect:
• A DJ that will be a hobbyist: DJing is something this person does from time to time and really only for fun. Since they are usually the only DJ if a problem occurs, they have no back up of staff or equipment.
• They will have little to no experience performing at weddings.
• No planning: Do not expect the DJ to help you plan or coordinate your reception.
• No MC: You are not getting a professional Master of Ceremonies.
• DJ attire: Do not expect them to be wearing a suit.
• Equipment: they will most likely not have professional equipment, let alone backup equipment. The setup will likely have wires dangling and visible.
• No lighting included, or outdated lighting
• Limited hours: Some DJ companies in Michigan limit their packages to a few hours, be aware of any limits at this price point.
• Musical knowledge may be limited. May not have legal music. Might not take song requests.
• No references: They might not have any references, videos, pictures to show you.
• Preparation time: Your DJ will have spent as little time as possible preparing for your wedding.
If your DJ charges between $700 - $1500, expect:
• A DJ with a few years experience performing at weddings.
• They might act as an MC to make basic announcements.
• Minimal planning: There may be some coordination and discussion of how you would like your reception to flow.
• Multi-Ops (companies with several DJs) often charge in this range, you will not have met your DJ in person until your wedding day or a week before. Because you don't know your DJ, the reception will most likely be average, and similar to many other weddings you've seen or been to.
• DJ attire: Most likely will be wearing a suit, or at least a shirt and tie.
• Professional equipment: Will be using professional gear.
• Some lighting included.
• Limited hours: Here too, be aware of any limits on time, and overtime charges.
• Musical knowledge: will have a broader sense of music over the eras, but might not include everything you'd expect.
• References: Should have a few pictures or videos to show you, may have general references for the company as a whole, not the individual DJ/MC.
• Preparation time: Your DJ will have spent a few hours preparing for your wedding.
If your DJ charges between $1500 – and above, expect
• A DJ with at least 5 to 10 years experience performing at weddings.
• A more personalized service, you are most likely dealing with single operators now (The DJ and/or MC is the owner and the one performing at your wedding). You will be meeting with your DJ directly, usually once or twice before the wedding to organize your reception, discuss ideas.
· May not have backup staffing
• DJ will be dressed in a suit
• Professional equipment: Not only are they using professional gear, the setup and stage look should be flawless (no wires showing!).
• Clear sound: For larger rooms, expect "satellite" speakers to be installed around the room to ensure everyone will hear all the important details, and this ensures a comfortable volume during dinner allowing everyone to speak to one another without yelling.
• Lighting included.
• Hours don't matter: Typically in this range, your price will include performance for the entire evening, no hidden overtime.
• Musical knowledge: should have a good knowledge of the oldies, the classics and today's top hits. They should also have discussed your personal tastes and favorites.
• References: Should have many! Videos, photos, testimonials on various sites.
• Preparation time: Your DJ will have spent 5-15 hours preparing for your wedding.
Some DJs also offer audio visual components such as TV's and video walls, other DJs offer photo stations and ceremony equipment. There are far too many things to include in this guide, so we kept it to basics of what a true wedding entertainer should be providing in terms of their service as a DJ and an MC at your wedding.
Pro DJs MI falls in the range of $1100 and up. Depending on your needs and locations. But our services fall more into the $1500 and up category.
Please check with us on more pricing and any discount information